Friday, July 17, 2009

The forgotten room

Boy did I get a little image happy with the hallways today! Lucky for you, and happy Friday! So, while a hallway might not mean much to most, the apartment i live in right now is the first NYC apartment I've inhabited that has an actual, real hallway. And nothing ads the finishing touch and homey detail than giving your hall a little love. Plus, you'll be putting that real estate to work!

Okay, so I think two important elements to make a long skinny hall feel like a cozy room is A. a welcoming lamp, and B. a runner or rug.

The hallway (especially an entrance) can make a great storage space for hats, umbrellas, walking sticks, shoes etc. Put all your loose possessions in coordinating bins or baskets to keep things tidy


*gasp* I love those mirrored understair cupboards! Two good things in one - mirrors to reflect light, and making the most of your space!

I'm a sucker for shoes lined up...and for puppies greeting you when you walk in the door.

My sister stacks her books like this in her stairs - I love the look


A narrow piece with shelves underneath ads double storage

again - not really a hall, but I thought the light treatment was nice

oh...that blue. Makes me think of Greece. I have that same red planner!

Okay - not really a hall - but I had to show you these stairs. I think it's kinda cool how they stripped down the paint to reveal the original wood, creating the illusion of a runner

If you have a piece that offers lots of storage like these drawers, it makes the perfect space to store hats, scarves, and other miscellaneous items.


A hall with a window presents the opportunity for a little nook to steal away.

So this is not something I would do myself, but I thought the image was really interesting - the hall is a mural in black marker.

What have you done or how have you put your hall to use? I'd love to hear your solutions!

via LivingEtc.

No comments:

Post a Comment