Thursday, February 28, 2013

Only the real thing? Or reproductions okay? Where do you stand

It's a hotly contested subject in most industries, especially fashion and design.  Is it okay to buy reproductions or "inspired by" pieces?  Or is it a no-no?

There are so many fabulous furniture designers that I love, Jacobsen, Saarinen, Knoll, and Gray.  The problem. Budget.  I'm don't yet have the savings that allow me to invest in an authentic piece.  Does this mean that my home should go without a piece that I love?

It is undeniable that designer furnishings, like a classic Chesterfield can make a HUGE impact on your space, even if it's just one piece.

via From The Right Bank

via Houzz

via HGTV

via One Kings Lane


I actually have one of these rocking chairs in white....
but I bought it a long time ago before I knew that it was an imitation of one of the most famous lounge chairs!  I still have it and still like it, but I know a lot of designers would cringe.


So, what are your thoughts?  

If you love a design that isn't accessible to with your budget, are you fine with having a reproduction?  

Do you buy authentic only or go without?

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I think that until I decide I will try to find beautiful, well designed pieces in consignment and antique shops.  


this post in partnership with Vita Interiors

No comments:

Post a Comment