Monday, February 8, 2010

Morocco Series: Peaceful, coastal Essaouira





Chris and I took a much needed, 2 day trip to Essaouira (about 3 hours by bus from Marrakesh. Essaouira offers a little rest from the non-stop pace of the medinas in Fes and Marrakesh. The medina in Essaouira is much smaller, and the beach and dunes offer beautiful views.

The city still looks like a fortress, and you'll see many remnants (such as the forts and cannons), from the days when it was one. "During the 16th century, various powers including Spain, England, the Netherlands and France tried in vain to conquer the locality. Essaouira remained a haven for the export of sugar, molasses and the anchoring of pirates." - via Wikipedia

*please be patient during photo upload - I've specially uploaded higher-res images so you guys get extra detail! :)



Looking into an artist co-op from the street. There are many artisans and a big craft community in Essaouira.


A door to the co-op from the street

A typical residential street





Fish monger's counters in a square of the Medina.


The beach is a very popular place for windsurfers (the water is very rough), also dune buggies and camels. The island you see across the waves used to house a prison, but now it is a protected nesting ground for some type of falcon. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the bird)


Me on Cappuccino and Chris on Chocolat.




You never forget the blue boats in Essaouira's port.







Another view of the marina




I believe these are ruins from a lookout or fort






This cannon said "Barcelona" on it, and I believe a date of "18??" something...




What do you think of Essaouira?


*All photos taken by my boyfriend, Chris

** I am by no means an expert and after 7 days of running around Morocco please feel free to correct me if any information I give in the Morocco Series is incorrect!

No comments:

Post a Comment